Fast connect after losing Link

Naveen Singh naveensingh0977 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 15:15:59 PST 2016

On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 3:05 PM, Dan Williams <dcbw at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2016-02-03 at 14:55 -0800, Naveen Singh wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 12:46 PM, Dan Williams <dcbw at redhat.com>
>> wrote:

>> > I think his point is that if connman disables the entire network
>> > block
>> > when it gets a deauth, that prevents reconnection to a *different*
>> > BSS
>> > in the same SSID.  Since connman doesn't appear to lock the network
>> > block to a single BSSID, this would indeed prevent the supplicant
>> > from
>> > reconnecting to the SSID quickly, whether to the same AP as before
>> > or a
>> > different one.
>> >
>> > Dan

>> Hi Dan
>>
>> connman code currently disables the network on the disconnect
>> notification and then wpa_supplicant code re-enables the network as a
>> part of SelectNetwork DBUS method call handling.
>>
>> I am not sure with current set of API between connman and
>> wpa_supplicant how much of a fast roaming really holds value.
>> wpa_supplicant indicates disconnect notification to connman and then
>> tries to re-establish wifi connection (either to same BSSID or a
>> different BSSID in the same network). Now connman once it gets the
>> disconnect notification will tear down L3 link (release IP address,
>> deletes all the route etc). So even if wpa_supplicant gets you
>> connected to an AP, this connection is of no use.
>>
>> Should not be in this case either wpa_supplicant should not indicate
>> disconnect notification after it has exhausted its retries to get
>> device connected to wifi or should use a different method to
>> communicate to connman so that connman will not proceed tearing down
>> link.
>
> Or, connman doesn't tear down the L3 connection immediately on
> disconnect, but instead waits a short period of time for the supplicant
> to reconnect, and only if that time elapses does it tear down the L3
> connection.  There are many reasons why disconnects happen and some of
> those reasons are transient and recoverable, and the L3 address can be
> preserved across the reconnect.
>
> Dan

I guess short amount of time is quite debatable. Just the wifi medium
access time could vary from  scenario to scenario. There are many
things that needs to be considered:

1) We need to notify connman that L2 level link is gone but
wpa_supplicant is trying to get connected back.
2) With this notification connman would let applications know that
data traffic is not feasible at this time but it is not a disconnect
notifications
3) When wpa_supplicant is done with all its attempt (including current
BSSID and any other BSSID), it does a final notification that
connection is lost
4) connman or user level application takes control from here.

So to make it robust I think we need two different notification and
that needs to be handled differently in connman.

Regards