Fast connect after losing Link

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Wed Feb 3 12:46:02 PST 2016

On Wed, 2016-02-03 at 12:33 -0800, Naveen Singh wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 8:56 AM, Naveen Singh <naveen at nestlabs.com>
> wrote:

> > > Why would connman do something like that? Large number of
> > > enterprise APs
> > > use Deauthentication frames to force load balancing and/or band
> > > steering. Disabling the network profile immediately on a
> > > disconnection
> > > event sounds like something that would result in pretty bad user
> > > experience in such networks.
> >
> > Agreed. And we are seeing this.

> > > If I understood the issue correctly, it sounds like the better
> > > direction
> > > would be to modify connman..
> > >
> > > --
> > > Jouni Malinen                                            PGP id
> > > EFC895FA

> Hi Jouni
> I was looking into the code for fast_connect from
> wpa_supplicant_event_disassoc_finish and it looks like we try to
> connect to same BSS. If it is trying to connect to same BSS how does
> it helping us in solving band steering or load balancing problem. If
> the connect request is invoked from
> wpas_select_network_from_last_scan
> we may have a different BSSID and then I can understand it is trying
> to connect to a different BSSID. Am I missing something here?

I think his point is that if connman disables the entire network block
when it gets a deauth, that prevents reconnection to a *different* BSS
in the same SSID.  Since connman doesn't appear to lock the network
block to a single BSSID, this would indeed prevent the supplicant from
reconnecting to the SSID quickly, whether to the same AP as before or a
different one.

Dan