HostAPd WPA Enterprise fails on Windows 10

Thomas d'Otreppe tdotreppe at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 11:37:43 PST 2016

I think I found it: Application log -> Microsoft -> Windows -> WLAN-AutoConfig.

Here is a log entry (there are more obviously, some with less details):

Wireless 802.1x authentication failed.

Network Adapter: Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165
Interface GUID: {XXXXXX-XX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXX}
Local MAC Address: 08:D4:0C:XX:XX:XX
Network SSID: hostapd-wpe
BSS Type: Infrastructure
Peer MAC Address: C4:E9:84:XX:XX:XX