WPS: Connection Issue after EAP-Fail with same SSID and different BSSID

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Mon Dec 5 05:46:23 PST 2016

On Thu, Oct 20, 2016 at 08:39:52PM +0530, Krishna Chaitanya wrote:
> While testing WPS we have encountered below scenario:
>
> AP: 2.4 and 5GHz radios have same SSID (WPS enabled on both) but
> different BSSID. First our DUT Connects to 2.4GHz Radio, does the WPS
> handshake and disconnects after EAP-Fail. After that when it attempts
> to connect again, based on the scan results it attempts connection to
> 5GHz Radio. This is because the wpa_supplicant is treating this
> connection as a fresh attempt and follows normal rules for choosing an
> AP.
>
> Shouldn't we make the SSID/BSSID with which we have completed the WPS
> handshake as a preferred network and try to connect to it first and
> only then attempt a fresh connection?

Why? Selecting the best BSS from the ESS would sound like a reasonable
thing to do for a normal connection. There is sufficient justification
to prefer the particular network that was just provisioned during the
initial connection following WPS provisioning, but I'm not sure I see
the point of somehow preferring the specific BSS that happened to be
used for the provisioning step if there is a better AP/radio available
in the same network.