Question on scan_freq and freq_list

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Thu Apr 28 11:30:22 PDT 2016

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 11:03:23AM -0700, Ann Lo wrote:
> Would you provide information on the difference between scan_freq and
> freq_list for wpa_supplicant?

wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf describes these parameters.

> If we only specify 2.4 GHz frequencies, can we avoid connecting to
> bssids in 5 GHz band?

If you are using a driver that does not use internal BSS selection,
setting freq_list with only 2.4 GHz frequencies would prevent connection
on the 5 GHz band. Please also note that there is a "SET setband
<AUTO/5G/2G>" control interface command.