problem compiling eapol_test under OpenSuse 13.2

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Sat Oct 31 09:33:10 PDT 2015

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 12:18:07PM +0100, Thomas Stather wrote:
> I wanted to compile the eapol_test binary to test my eap setup
> (Eduroam service, EAP-PEAP/MSCHAPv2 and EAP-TTLS/MSCHAPv2).
>
> The VM is using OpenSuse 13.2
>
> The manual is here:
> http://deployingradius.com/scripts/eapol_test/

Those instructions use wpa_supplicant/defconfig more or less as-is as
the build configuration which is not really ideal for the case where
only eapol_test is built. This leaves some unneeded build parameters
like various driver interfaces enabled. That is not really needed for
eapol_test and it would be easier to simply disable those.

> However when i do a "make eapol_test" i get:
>    CC  ../src/utils/ip_addr.c
> /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.8/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld:
> cannot find -lnl

> The response from the freeradius-users list was that i need the "libnl" package so i installed these:
>
> libnl3-200
> libnl3-devel
> libnl3-200-32bit

For libnl version 3 to work, you would need to uncomment
CONFIG_LIBNL32=y in wpa_supplicant/.config. That said, it will be
simpler to just comment out (or just delete the lines)
CONFIG_DRIVER_WEXT=y and CONFIG_DRIVER_NL80211=y in
wpa_supplicant/.config when building only eapol_test and not
wpa_supplicant. That will remove dependency on libnl completely.