SAE vs 4-Way Handshake

Neelansh Mittal neelansh at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 12:06:22 PDT 2015

>>If there was no concern about the security of low-entropy passwords,
>>yes, something like that could have been done, but SAE makes the design
>>stronger from security view point for cases where the passwords used to
>>protect the network are not exactly strong (which is likely to be a
>>common case). The 4-way handshake is not exactly ideal for use cases
>>where the PMK is not of sufficient entropy (e.g., anything based on
>>human generated passwords could be subject to offline dictionary attacks).

Thanks.This clarifies my doubt. And it makes sense too, even though we
are trading off speed(additional number of frames being exchanged for
SAE ) for security.This even calls for the BSS networks(and not just
MBSS)  to move to SAE , when Shared Passphrase is used,instead of
using the PSK as PMK.

Regards
Neelansh