Updating deny acl mac list during runtime

Eli Balta eliba86 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 11:50:15 PST 2015

Hi all,

I am developing an application which is supposed to manage a wireless
access point on a Linux machine using hostapd 2.5.

I need to be able to dynamically add and remove hosts from the mac
filter list depending on various events.
What I'm doing right now is:
1) add/remove mac entry in /etc/hostapd.deny
2) send "SET deny_mac_file /etc/hostapd.deny" to the ctrl iface at
/var/run/hostapd/...

The problem:
This works only for adding entries to the list, if I remove an entry
and send the "SET deny_mac_file /etc/hostapd.deny" command, it
succeeds, but the STA is still denied authentication whenever it tries
to connect.

Is there any way to solve this problem without having to make
modifications to the code?

Thanks,
Eli