Hostapd AP SSID broadcast problem

Pertti Niinimäki itprosenior at welho.com
Tue Nov 17 11:38:34 PST 2015

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your comments. Yes I have only one wireless camera at the moment.
Remote location
(my cottage) is about 100 km away, so that I'm currently operating
everything from my home location.
As you suggested I tested hostapd.conf commenting out
"ignore_broadcast_ssid" but it didn't
change the broadcast behaviour.

Some other things I found from debug data using "-d" argument. Debug records
are showing
beacon hex data and voila, SSID is correctly inserted in.
The problem seems to be that this specific beacon data is not sent out. Only
records AP is sending
out are identified as ARP queries not containing SSID.
When I'm comparing that with  trace from ZyXEL ADSL router,  it is
transmitting ARP queries and also
identified as 802.11 records which contain AP's SSID identification.

I'm not fully sure if my IPS camera is waking up when it sees correct Access
Point, but that's what
I still believe.

For my remote operations I have  ZyXEL ADSL-router with Wifi option, two
Raspberry Pi's as
LAN network, other one having internet connection with WWAN mobile stick.
If something is down I can use backup routes.

Regards
Pertti N