Hostapd AP SSID broadcast problem

Pertti Niinimäki itprosenior at welho.com
Tue Nov 17 01:08:44 PST 2015

Hi
Based on WireShark analysis, I have not been able to configure Hostapd to
broadcast SSID. My problem
is ‘sleeping’ remote IP security camera connected via Wifi to Raspberry Pi.
Only ARP records are sent
out periodically or when pinging the bridged static IP address for the
camera, but no SSID broadcasting.
Wifi is in its own subnet bridged (br0) to Raspberry and mobile PPP0
interface.
In the same installation but nor directly connected the SSID from  ZyXEL
ADSL modem can be listened correctly
with Raspberry's  WireShark.

I compiled latest version (hostapd v2.3)  into Raspberry, replacing v1.0,
but it  didn’t change anything.
Testing  hostapd.conf setup for “ignore_broadcast_ssid” with different
values was no help either
for the problem.
Looking into source code, it seems like value “1” should do the trick to
beacon ssid, but no success?
Following are  config parameters used:
interface_wlan0
bridge=br0
driver=nl80211
hw_mode=g
channel=8
ssid=XxXxXX (not shown)
beacon_int=100 (ok with hostapd > 15)
dtim_period=2
macaddr_acl=0
auth_algs=1
ignore_broadcast_ssid=(0 or 1 or 2 or 3 tested)
wpa=2
wpa_passphrase=xxxxxxxxxx(not shown)
wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
wpa_pairwise=TKIP
rsn_pairwise=CCMP
country_code=FI
wpa_ptk_rekey=18000
radius_acct_interim_interval=36000 (not needed extra ?)

The driver is:  rt2800usb

Normally the the link Wifi-IPS camera works ok, but probably due to some
disturbance the camera
may be dropped out. I want to test if broadcasting AP SSID could wake it up.

Pertti Niinimäki
itprosenior at welho.com