2 SSIDs on 1 interface

Alexandre Epert alex.epert at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 07:14:06 PST 2015

Hi,

I'm quite new to hostapd but I need to have 2 SSIDs on 1 physical
interface but I can't make it work.

I read that guide
http://wiki.stocksy.co.uk/wiki/Multiple_SSIDs_with_hostapd and
hostapd.conf file.
It is said I need to change MAC address of my wireless interface to
match the beginning of the MAC addresses defined by this mask
ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:fc (if I understood/read correctly).

I can not change MAC address of my interface, maybe due to a driver
limitation or issue. I tried using system tools (ifconfig,
/etc/network/interfaces, etc.) and macchanger which gives me an error
message : Network driver didn't actually change to the new MAC!!
I am using an Edimax EW-7811U AC USB Wifi dongle with a driver from
github : https://github.com/abperiasamy/rtl8812AU_8821AU_linux

Is there a way to have 2 SSIDs on 1 interface without modifying MAC address?

It's working with 1 SSID quite well (not stress tested at the moment).

Any help would be gladly appreciated.

Thanks.