How to disable /b and /a/g rates?

Ben Greear greearb
Tue Mar 10 12:52:44 PDT 2015

On 03/10/2015 12:44 PM, Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Tue, 2015-03-10 at 12:27 -0700, Ben Greear wrote:
>
>> Regardless of how good of an idea this is for real-world deployment,
>> would it actually be OK per the wifi spec to disable all basic rates?
>
> You seem to be confusing a few things. You cannot "disable all basic
> rates", as the AP determines which rates are basic rates. Certainly, if
> the AP doesn't advertise a rate, then it can also not be marked as a
> basic rate.

I guess I mean that I would want only the HT rates to be the
basic rates..none of the /b/g/a rates...

Also, in this case, I am interested in doing this on the AP.
I basically want to have an /n/AC AP only..no legacy stuff
at all.

> Perhaps you're thinking of mandatory rates, i.e. rates which a given PHY
> has to support (e.g. "1, 2, 5.5, 6, 11, 12, and 24 Mb/s" in ERP PHYs
> [Clause 19]). I don't think you *can* really disable those. Clearly you
> can opt never to use them for transmission, and you can try to prevent
> clients from using them by not advertising them as supported. However,
> doing that would not be spec compliant I think.
>
> As the spec allows control response frames to be carried in HT PPDUs
> when the original frame is (see 9.7.6.5.3) this may still actually
> mostly be possible to pull off though.

For grins, I tried setting the supported_rates=360 480 540

In this case, it seems hostapd at least thinks it has started,
but ath10k will not beacon as far as I can tell.

That could easily be bugs in ath10k driver or firmware...I'll
go poke around there next.

Thanks,
Ben

--