Driver support for RTL8188{C,CU,CUS} wifi chips

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland
Thu Mar 5 01:41:13 PST 2015

On 04/03/15 14:01, Petros Aggelatos wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> You were right about the latest drivers. The reason they wouldn't work
> for me is because the Raspberry Pi foundation disabled the rtlwifi
> driver from their tree in 2012 [1] and it has been like that since.
> After I patched the sources to actually compile rtlwifi it worked
> fine, I didn't even had to add the RFC patches you pointed me at.
>
> [1] https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/commit/a9dd0a015a3a3f9809d58735247caeee5614a068
>
> Thanks a lot for your help,
> Petros

Great news! (I only know about this as I had similar problems with the
gain control a while back and spent quite a bit of time debugging this
with Larry).

Once 4.0 has stabilised and proved itself, I would strongly recommended
getting the RPi folks to switch over to the kernel supported drivers;
they've been stable here for me for a while and it's just been the lack
of a fully working AP mode until fairly recently that has really
hindered their adoption.

ATB,

Mark.