hostapd and wpa_supplicant wired

Jouni Malinen j
Sat Jun 27 13:46:37 PDT 2015

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 02:03:01PM +0200, Matthias Flittner wrote:
> I would like to set up a wifi testbed on only one host without a
> wireless device. Therefore I created a bridge and assigned two tap
> devices. After that I tried to set up a wired configuration of hostapd
> and wpa_supplicant on this host.

Why would you use a wired configuration if you want to do Wi-Fi testing?
You would get much better coverage and easier configuration if you were
to use mac80211_hwsim to simulate Wi-Fi.. See tests/hwsim/README for
more information on how this used in the automated test setup for
wpa_supplicant and hostapd.