OpenSSL 1.0.2b, 1.0.1n, 1.0.0s, 0.9.8zg binary incompatibility

Jouni Malinen j
Fri Jun 12 10:23:07 PDT 2015

On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 01:19:36PM +0300, Jouni Malinen wrote:
> Please note that the OpenSSL versions released yesterday are not binary
> compatible with the prior releases due to a quite undesired ABI change
> (HMAC_CTX size changes). This affects multiple programs using OpenSSL
> shared libraries, including wpa_supplicant.

Actually, this is only applicable to 1.0.2b and 1.0.1n. The older 1.0.0
and 0.9.8 branches did not get the HMAC_CTX change that caused this.

> This is an OpenSSL issue and I hope that the previous ABI will be
> restored in a new release shortly. There is not really anything that
> wpa_supplicant can do about this apart from doing that rebuild with new
> OpenSSL header files.

OpenSSL 1.0.2c and 1.0.1o were released today with the issue resolved,
i.e., HMAC_CTX is of the same size as it was before the problematic
versions from yesterday.