wpa_supplicant in FIPS 140-2 mode

Jate Sujjavanich jatedev
Wed Jul 29 11:50:09 PDT 2015

I wish I had noticed your reply earlier. I have some gmail filtering issues.

I figured out an issue with the aes_wrap/aes_unwrap function calls causing
the exit. The ones implemented in crypto_openssl.c make a lower level call
which is not allowed in FIPS mode for 1.0.1. I will submit a patch which
uses the more generic callbacks in src/crypto/aes_wrap.c and
src/crypto/aes_unwrap.c.

Now I am looking into the OpenSSL FIPS error in the context of the
following debug output:

EAP: EAP entering state IDLE
EAPOL: SUPP_PAE entering state AUTHENTICATING
EAPOL: SUPP_BE entering state REQUEST
EAPOL: getSuppRsp
EAP: EAP entering state RECEIVED
OpenSSL: EVP_DigestInit_ex failed: error:060A80A3:digital envelope
routines:FIPS
_DIGESTINIT:disabled for fips
EAP: Received EAP-Request id=1 method=1 vendor=0 vendorMethod=0

In function eap_sm_parseEapReq in eap.c, the following call is triggering
the OpenSSL error. It is approximately line 1769:

        ret = md5_vector(1, addr, &plen, sm->req_md5);

It appears that the eap_workaround setting tells wpa_supplicant to make the
call to md5_vector. The wpa_supplicant is able to successfully
authenticate. I can also set eap_workaround=0, and it still works with my
networking equipment. In FIPS mode, I believe that this call does not do
anything because OpenSSL in FIPS mode returns an error before doing
anything.