Problem with the ROAM wpa_cli command and external scans.

Jouni Malinen j
Fri Jul 10 10:54:48 PDT 2015

On Wed, Jul 08, 2015 at 03:59:00PM -0700, Ben Greear wrote:
> Previously (or so I believe), I could request a scan using 'iw', and then
> tell wpa_cli to do a roam now than the scan is fresh.  I let user specify
> the channels to scan with iw so that I can minimize scan time..which is a big help
> when doing lots of virtual stations.
>
> But, now it seems wpa_supplicant ignores these external scans.

Why would you use iw for doing the scan if you end up using
wpa_supplicant control interface for the ROAM command anyway? I would
use "SCAN freq=<known freq(s)>" instead for triggering the scan and then
follow that with ROAM if the BSS table includes the target BSS.