Recommended Beacon Interval for 2.4GHz vs 5GHz dual band networks with single SSID

Jeremy Ward jward01
Mon Jan 12 10:50:58 PST 2015

Jouni,

Thanks for offering your insight on this.

My understanding of Ruckus's thinking surrounding retarding 2.4GHz beacons
while accelerating 5GHz beacons is to gain the marginal chance that STAs
will associate with the 5GHz radio, specifically in high density Wi-Fi
networks; this difference, albeit marginal, has enough of an impact when
used in conjunction with controller-based STA steering methods, standards
based or otherwise.

In high density, retarding the beacons in 2.4GHz has the added benefit of
reducing the the utilization percentage of a channel, marginally increasing
effective data rates in light of the heavy frequency reuse needed for HD
networks -- directional or otherwise.

But back to hostAPd:

We are looking to use hostAPd with on appliance that will never have any
other APs present on the network other than one 2.4GHz and one 5GHz; also,
there will be no 802.11-based authentication (open system).

Given this fact, and our desire to "offload" as many STAs to the 5GHz AP as
possible, how do you suggest that we implement our requirements with
hostAPd?

My thinking was that we could utilize 802.11k action frames with clients
that support it (we are dealing with a LOT of iPhones), scripting a
"graceful" disassociation from the 2.4GHz AP, and invoking a "forced" roam
to the 5GHz AP. Please let me know if my logic is flawed.

My understanding, however, is that hostAPd does not currently support
802.11k; is this also correct?

Thanks for your time.

Jeremy D. Ward, CWNE
(954) 661-4965