execute wpa_supplicant + wpa_cli with a virtual network interface

Jouni Malinen j
Fri Jan 9 15:09:00 PST 2015

On Fri, Jan 09, 2015 at 02:32:03PM +0000, Stefano Cappa wrote:
> Yes, i'm using this http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/p2p/howto and i can connect 2 device together with p2p-p2p0-1 interface, generated by wpa_supplicant. Perfect.
>
> But now i want another interface to execute the same protocol at the same time.
> If i try to lunch "p2p_connect go_address pbc go_intent=15" on the third device and "p2p_connect new_device_address pbc go_intent=1" is not working on the previous device, because the go_address device is a GO on the interface and can't be a client.
> For this reason i want to create another interface.

For P2P use cases, wpa_supplicant will create a new group interface when
needed. You should not (and in fact, cannot) add the virtual interface
manually for such an operation.

> Another approach, like your suggestions (without using directly iw):
> How can i start a p2p connection (on a device already connected to a third device as GO)  as client with another device that is a GO? I mean, if everything is ok, driver ok, kernel ok, os ok, everything...with wpa_cli how can i achieve this without creating an interface with iw, but using wpa_supplicant like in this post (http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/p2p/howto) ?

You would simply run another p2p_connect command (or p2p_group_add for
autonomous GO) while the other group is operating. For a quick test,
just run p2p_group_add twice and see whether you get two group
interfaces.