wpasupplicant and WEP

Jouni Malinen j
Sun Jan 4 08:20:32 PST 2015

On Sun, Jan 04, 2015 at 03:15:48PM +0100, Erich Titl wrote:
> Indeed it does, I configured wlan using
>
> iw wlan0 connect scoobly keys 0:1234567890123

What do you have as an AP here? Are you absolute sure it configures that
WEP key in the same way as the client does (i.e., as a 104-bit
"1234567890123" rather than as some kind of failed attempt at parsing
that as a hexstring for 40-bit 0x1234567890)? When testing something as
basic as first initial connection, I'd use a key that cannot be parsed
both as a hexstring for a binary key and ASCII text. Does the AP have
only this single WEP key configured or could it potentially use another
WEP key for transmission?

> AP# iw dev wlan0 link
> Connected to f8:1a:67:56:42:96 (on wlan0)
>         SSID: scoobly
>         freq: 2427

This is expected regardless of whether the keys match or not.

> and the link showed the same characteristics, dhcp requests are sent,
> but incoming dhcp packets are dropped somewhere.

And you are sure that the DHCP request do actually show up behind the
AP?

> I made the same test using the ath5k hardware and the results match
> exactly. IMHO it does not look like a card specific problem but rather
> somethink in the WEP handling code. Is this done in the iw package or
> somewhere deeper?

That's all in kernel (mac80211 and WLAN driver in case of ath5k).

I can only state that this works for me with mac80211_hwsim. I don't
care enough about WEP to start testing with other drivers. If you can
produce a wireless capture file showing the frames, it would be
straightforward to confirm where the problem is.