IP assignment and authenticated port

Scott Armitage s.p.armitage
Tue Feb 3 00:19:19 PST 2015

> On 3 Feb 2015, at 06:02, Sarah Thomas <sarah040.thomas at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>   The intention is to port hostapd on a wired switch. So, wanted to understand, whether there will be any interaction between dhcp server and the port authorization by 802.1x?  I read somewhere, only after the port is authenticated by 802.1x, IP address will be assigned to the clients and layer 3 communication will start between the client and switch. So wanted to know, how this port authorization info is communicated to dhcp server?

The standard way is all traffic (other than that required for 802.1X authentication) is blocked at the switch port level until the switch port has been authorised.  The client shouldn?t be able to send a DHCP request until the switch has received an Access-Accept for the client.

Regards

Scott Armitage