network removed from wpa_supplicant.conf

Jouni Malinen j at w1.fi
Sun Dec 6 01:35:28 PST 2015

On Tue, Dec 01, 2015 at 09:45:13AM +0100, Christoffer Gurell wrote:
> The wifi network the devices are connected to is of very low quality
> (bad signal and high noise) but it still works enought for our
> purposes. The devices seem to be temporarily blacklisting the AP every
> now and then. This is not ideal but as long as they remove it from the
> blacklist again I can live with this.
>
> But some devices finally blacklist and remove the network (exactly at
> the same time) from wpa_supplicant.conf. Never again attempting to
> connect to that SSID unless i add it back manually.
>
> My question is if there is anything in wpa_supplicant that could cause
> this behaviour, like a "remove repeatedly blacklisted network under
> condition N" or if I should look elsewhere in the platform for
> something that may tell wpa_supplicant to remove and blacklist the
> network for some reason.

wpa_supplicant does not remove a network block on its own apart from the
special cases of temporary network blocks used for WPS, P2P, and
Interworking purposes. Networks that fail to connect do get temporarily
blacklisted in two different mechanism, but neither of those actually
removes the network profile from configuration. In other words,
something outside wpa_supplicant is needed to do what you described
here.