MACsec support with IEEE 802.1X-2010 driver requirements?

Jouni Malinen j
Fri Aug 14 13:50:48 PDT 2015

On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 10:16:03AM -0700, Ben Greear wrote:
> I am trying to understand what it would take to support MACsec in, say,
> Intel NICs.
>
> Is this something that requires specific hardware support?

Yes the hardware needs to support MACsec.. This involves support for
encrypting/decrypting frames and managing the keys for that.

> Any idea how much work this would involve assuming it can be done at all?

src/drivers/driver_macsec_qca.c shows an example driver interface for
MACsec.