segmentation fault in wpa_supplicant

Jouni Malinen j
Wed Apr 29 11:13:37 PDT 2015

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 03:23:06PM +0300, Jouni Malinen wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 01:06:51PM +0200, Christian Hesse wrote:
> > I am suffering a segmentation fault in wpa_supplicant (2.4 and git master)
> > when started with DBus control interface (command option -u). Probably the
> > problem only exists for drivers that use a management interface. The log looks
> > like this:
>
> > wpa_supplicant[1629]: process 1629: arguments to
> > dbus_message_iter_append_basic() were incorrect, assertion
> > "_dbus_check_is_valid_path (*string_p)" failed in file dbus-message.c line
> > 2681.
>
> > I bisected the code and found the bad commit:
> > > commit 21efc940f6e7f07b84b7e5c5867f3d81594c4fb0
> > > wpa_supplicant: Do not register a P2P management interface on DBus
>
> It looks like there is a large number of issues in the D-Bus commands
> for P2P management. They are picking incorrect interface for many cases
> when the separate P2P Device interface is used. Fixing the crash is
> straightforward, but getting all those P2P operations working correctly
> is going to take quite a bit more effort.

This should now be fixed in the master branch. The crashes are covered
in this commit:
http://w1.fi/cgit/hostap/commit/?id=8a78e227df1ead19be8e12a4108e448887e64d6f
while actual P2P operation over D-Bus need some additional changes for
the separate P2P Device interface case:
http://w1.fi/cgit/hostap/commit/?id=5441da2beb99c67e4f7790b114c65a2cc748f166
http://w1.fi/cgit/hostap/commit/?id=5aeebc48e8449e39a8ad0f2f1c525464ad94e837