Apple devices having problem connecting to hostapd hotspot

Matthew Nourse matthew
Tue Apr 28 01:21:11 PDT 2015

On Mon, Apr 27, 2015, at 11:46 PM, Matt Nourse wrote:
<snip>
> I'm having a similar problem with Apple devices- have tried an iPhone 6,
> Mac
> OS 10.9.5 and Mac OS 10.10.3.  Android connects OK.  I haven't found any
> resolution to this problem on any mailing list or forum, is there a known
> fix/config change?
>
> I'm running Debian Jessie (8.0) which has hostapd 2.3.
>
> The Apple devices connect successfully enough that dnsmasq assigns them
> an
> IP address & they respond to pings for a few seconds, but not
> successfully
> enough that they think they are connected.
>
> Below are the details.  Jouni, do you still want a wireless capture, and
> if
> so what's your preferred method for me to do the capture?
>
> Thanks for hostapd!
>
> The details:
>
> root at nucgw:~# lsusb | grep Realtek
> Bus 001 Device 007: ID 0bda:8176 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8188CUS
> 802.11n WLAN Adapter

I changed the USB WLAN adapter to a TP-Link TL-WN722N (i.e. Atheros
chipset) and the Apple devices can all connect now.

matt at nucgw:~$ lsusb | grep Atheros
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0cf3:9271 Atheros Communications, Inc. AR9271
802.11n

Matt

<snip>