Wi-Fi Direct Probe response from GO

Jouni Malinen j
Mon Apr 20 14:22:40 PDT 2015

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 02:07:03AM -0400, anjalik at iwavesystems.com wrote:
> I have mentioned the place where the function is returning.
>
> void handle_probe_req(struct hostapd_data *hapd,
>                       const struct ieee80211_mgmt *mgmt, size_t len)
>        if (elems.ssid_len == 0 ||
>             (elems.ssid_len == hapd->conf->ssid.ssid_len &&
>              os_memcmp(elems.ssid, hapd->conf->ssid.ssid, elems.ssid_len) ==
>              0)) {
>                 if (sta)
>                         sta->ssid_probe = &hapd->conf->ssid;
>         } else {

>                 return;  //*********The function returns here ********

Do you know which SSID was used in the Probe Request frame?

> D/wpa_supplicant( 2735): P2P: Setting up WPS for GO provisioning
> D/wpa_supplicant( 2735): AP: Set MAC address filter: 0f:1d:ae:fh:e6:9b
> D/wpa_supplicant( 2735): WPS: Button pushed - PBC mode started
>
> I guess the the connection is completed , so accordingly that
> particuar sta entry should be present.(Correct me if I am wrong).

That is not the case. The STA entry is there only if the STA is
associated with the GO which it won't be at this point in time. That
sta->ssid_probe case is really a very uncommon corner case and not
relevant to any P2P use cases. In fact, I don't think there is actually
any real use for sta->ssid_probe in the current tree since it will be
hardcoded to point to hapd->conf->ssid.. It was only used for a
multi-SSID design that never got added into hostap.git.

> Also I have another doubt regarding the sta entry. Does any kind of
> entry is done when the station sends a probe request to the AP?

No, there is no need for a STA entry for Probe Request processing.