wpa_supplicant and virtual machines

Petar Bogdanovic petar
Tue Sep 16 05:32:35 PDT 2014

Hi,

I sometimes connect to certain WPA-EAP networks with the following
configuration:

	ssid="*******"
	key_mgmt=WPA-EAP
	eap=PEAP
	phase2="auth=MSCHAPV2"
	ca_path="/etc/ssl/certs"
	identity="********"
	anonymous_identity="*********"

that works fine on OSX 10.6, but leaves my Linux VMs without an address.
All VMs use bridged interfaces, i.e. their virtual ethernet interfaces
are "bridged" with the main wireless interface.

That same problem does not happen in regular WPA-PSK networks.  So I
wonder if WPA-EAP networks would require the VMs to run a separate
wpa_supplicant in order to authenticate their virtual interfaces?

Thanks,

		Petar Bogdanovic