openvswitch and hostap?

Helmut Schaa helmut.schaa
Wed Nov 19 09:55:00 PST 2014

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 6:42 PM, Junguk Cho <jmanbal at gmail.com> wrote:
> When I add wlanX to bridge in openvswitch, the bridge does not reply EAPOL
> frame
> even though I set up rules between wlanX and br0 with in_port and out_port
> fileds.
>
> I can only see EAPOL (Message 1 of 4 ) in bridge with tcpdump but it did not
> reply.
> So I assumed EAPOL authentication is related to wlanX.
>
> Is it right? Just wondering why it did not reply to EAPOL message.

hostapd needs to know about the bridge/ovs interface to register a
PF_PACKET socket for EAPOL frames.
Otherwise hostapd opens a socket on wlanX but since EAPOL frames are
data frames they end up being bridged and hostapd never receives them.

> Would you please clarify "I'm using this one but did not consider sending it
> upstream as it is quite a hack"?

I'm using the patch referenced in my previous email but it is more of
a hack then a clean patch ...

Helmut