wpa_supplicant: nl80211: set_key failed; err=-22

Jouni Malinen j
Tue Nov 18 03:37:49 PST 2014

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 12:19:12PM +0100, Richard Knoop wrote:
> we are using wpa_supplicant 2.3 and libnl 3.2.25 in combination with
> a WL1271 device on a i.MX28.
>
> We encounter something strange errors.
> All works well and stable but a soon as we have a AP with a TKIP
> cypher, we get an error:
>
> Failed to set PTK to the driver (alg=2 keylen=32 bssid=00:11:50:7d:05:c0)

It sounds like the driver is rejecting TKIP key configuration for some
reason. The log did not seem to show any obvious signs of other failures
and I've not seen this issue with other drivers, so I can only suggest
checking what exactly is happening in cfg80211 or the driver with that
set_key (NL80211_CMD_NEW_KEY) operation.