Connecting to low priority BSSIDs over high priority BSSIDs if they have better SNR

Jouni Malinen j
Fri May 30 00:26:55 PDT 2014

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 09:43:37AM -0700, Samitha Wijedasa wrote:
> We have a high priority networks and a
> low priority networks and we prefer to connect with high priority
> ones using wpa_supplicant priority field, but in the case of high
> priority networks having a low SNR we should consider connecting to
> the low priority ones irrespective of the priority if the low
> priority ones enjoy a better SNR.
>
> In wpa_supplicant when priority is
> enabled it always going for the high priority one even if the low
> priority one may enjoy a higher SNR.
>
> How can I modify wpa_supplicant to
> cater this requirement.

There is currently no mechanism provided in wpa_supplicant to configure
such behavior. One possible way of implementing this would be to add a
configuration parameter to set a minimum signal strength below which the
scan result entry would be ignored. That would allow lower priority
network to be selected even if there is a higher priority network
present in the scan results with unacceptable signal strength.