wpa_supplicant Go Negotiation

Peer, Ilan ilan.peer
Mon May 19 13:08:22 PDT 2014

Hi Andrea,

The wpa_supplicant allows to set the GO intent in the configuration file or by using the control interface commands that support it:

*         The default intent in 7

*         In configuration file u can set it by: p2p_go_intent=<0..15>

*         From the control interface the intent can be changed as follows (also see here<http://hostap.epitest.fi/gitweb/gitweb.cgi?p=hostap-1.git;a=blob;f=wpa_supplicant/README-P2P;hb=HEAD>)

o   P2p_connect ... go_intent=<val>

o   Set p2p_go_intent <val>

Regards,

Ilan.

From: Andrea Chittano [mailto:andrea.chittano at hotmail.it]
Sent: Monday, May 19, 2014 15:55
To: Peer, Ilan
Subject: wpa_supplicant Go Negotiation

Hi Ilan, I'm a member of HostAP.
I've seen that you are working on wpa_supplicant, so may be you can clarify some doubts regarding it.
I'm interested in GO negotiation procedure between 2 devices which want to perform a p2p wifi direct connection.
Let's suppose that device 1 (D1) starts a connection with device 2 (D2).
So GO negotiation must be performed. D1 sends a GO negotiation request containing its own GO Intent to D2.
Now, D2 after receiving the request, should compare its own GO intent (local GO intent) with which one received from D1, in order to build a response containing device info of which one with the highest GO intent.
I wish to know where devices set their GO intent before starting any action.
I've found only a point where GO intent is setted and it happens when the wpa_supplincant on the device starting a connection calls the function p2p_connect().
I get the impression that the whole GO negotiation is done between wpa_supplicants on D1 and D2.
My question is:
how does the device receiving the request acquire its local GO intent?

Thanks for your help,
Andrea