Question on commit: "Do not inform other virtual interfaces of scan results in all cases"

Ben Greear greearb
Mon May 12 08:04:35 PDT 2014

I have been trying to figure out why my multi-vif associations are taking too long,
and it seems to be caused by this patch below.

In my case, I very much want to do multiple associations at a time.

So, question is:  Why was this considered harmful?  Maybe the problem
only happens if two vifs are on different channels, or something like that?

Thanks,
Ben

commit 0dd54313127eb02fe45eded4b84ec6ea830495d3
Author: Jouni Malinen <j at w1.fi>
Date:   Thu Sep 13 18:07:02 2012 -0700

    Do not inform other virtual interfaces of scan results in all cases

    If a connection operation is started on an interface based on scan
    results, other virtual interfaces should not be information about the
    results to avoid potential concurrent operations during the association
    steps. Since the sibling notification of scan results received was added
    as an optimization, skipping it for this type of cases is the simplest
    way of avoiding unnecessary concurrent operations.

    Signed-hostap: Jouni Malinen <j at w1.fi>

--
Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com>