Bandsteering (was: "Re: Feature request: use random MAC addresses when scanning")

Antonio Quartulli antonio
Wed Jun 18 08:11:43 PDT 2014

Hi Jouni,

On 16/06/14 10:48, Jouni Malinen wrote:
>> I can't see how that would work. The AP has to decide immediately
>> (while the scanning STA is still on the channel) if it should send a
>> 2.4 Ghz Probe response, it can't sit back and wait for a 5 Ghz probe
>> to show up or not. This is how the Aerohive describe their
>> implementation [10]:
>
> An AP that is not replying to Probe Request frames based on whether it
> has or hasn't seen the station send frames on 5 GHz band is not
> compliant with the IEEE 802.11 standard. When one uses non-standard
> hacks, one better be prepared for them not working. Getting stations to
> prefer 5 GHz band should be done in co-operation with stations, not by
> trying to hide information (Probe Response frames or even worse, SSID
> from Beacom frames) from them.

What kind of co-operation can be established between AP and STA at the
moment? I am not sure that the standard provides any technique to
accomplish this task. Woudln't you agree? Or is there something less
ugly that could be done?

Cheers,

--
Antonio Quartulli