Hostapd nl80211 Monitor

Kevin Han khansuremcgill
Wed Jul 30 09:22:46 PDT 2014

Hi,

I believe that in previous versions of hostapd (0.7.3), a monitor interface
would be created by the nl80211 driver (called mon.wlan#) in order to
handle management frames. However, in the newer versions of hostapd (2.0+)
there is no longer a monitor interface being created. I am currently
working on a project which requires the sending of 802.11 management frames
to such a monitor interface in order to generate a response (e.g. sending a
Probe Request frame and seeing a Probe Response). How could I go about
doing this in the newer versions of hostapd (is there any way to bring up a
monitor interface)?

Thank You,

Kevin