Force mode 802.11 for station using wpa_supplicant

Vu Hai NGUYEN vh.nguyen
Tue Jul 8 01:52:07 PDT 2014

>Hi all,
>I wonder if we can use wpa_supplicant to force mode 802.11 for a station when it connects to an AP.
>For example my AP using hostapd and was set up in 802.11ac VHT80, channel 36.
>Normally all the device support 802.11n can connect to that AP too.
>But because the wifi module in my station is the same as my AP and they are all support 802.11ac so
>if I set up the channel 36 for my station it connect automatically with my AP in mode 802.11ac VHT80.
>Is there any way that I can force my station to connect to my AP in mode 802.11n HT20 or HT40?
>I don't see any parameter in the configuration file of wpa_supplicant that allow me to do this.

If I set the parameter "disable_vht=1" in the configuration file of wpa_supplicant, my station can connect in
mode 802.11nHT40  with my AP (set up in 802.11ac VHT80).
Then I add "disable_ht40=1", but my Station still connects to my AP in mode 802.11n HT40 (I verify this
by checking bandwidth and rate report from command "iw").
I added "disabled_ht20" but this did not create any effect too. Any one gets the same issue like me?
Here is an example of my configuration file for wpa_supp:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
eapol_version=1
ap_scan=1
fast_reauth=0