Hotspot 2.0 (802.11u) with hostapd/wpa_supplicant

James Wood james.wood
Mon Feb 10 14:54:20 PST 2014

Hi All

I'm hoping you can help me with my testing of Hotspot 2.0 for some proof of
concept trials.

I have looked at the hostapd.conf examples and everything seems to make
sense but I am wondering what the basic configuration options required are
in order for a client device that supports Hotspot 2.0 to connect to the
service.

We traditionally use an open network with a captive portal authentication
page, and are looking to take advantage of Hotspot 2.0 whilst still
requiring the user to be redirected to our captive portal/login page.

Am I right in thinking the below should suffice? Am I missing anything, or
is any of this not required? Also, where does wpa_supplication fit in?

Appreciate this is vague at this stage as I'm at the initial stage of seeing
if this can work for us.

interworking=1

access_network_type=3

internet=1

asra=1

esr=1

uesa=1

roaming_consortium=2233445566

venue_name=eng:My venue

network_auth_type=02http://www.my-captive-portal.com

ipv4_type=3

domain_name=mydomain.com

hs20=1

hs20_oper_friendly_name=eng:FreeWiFi

Finally, a generic question (I've been reading up about Hostspot 2.0 in
general but still not perfectly clear) is that how does authentication (ie
EAP-TTLS) take place before the user even connects to the AP and we
authenticate them via the captive portal page?

Thank you