[Patch v3] supplicant: add dbus getter method for nl80211 iftype

Avinash Patil avinashapatil
Mon Dec 22 01:41:16 PST 2014

--Resending from registered email ID as email bounced from hostap mailing
list---

Hi Jouni/Johannes,

Implementations may vary from vendor to vendor. One vendor implements it
this way does not mean all should follow the same, isnt it?
Interface capabilities/combination advertised by wiphy are per hardware
device and there is no restriction on how these this combination can be
supported. Single hardware device can be emulated to support multiple
virtual interfaces with different capabilities and that's what we intend to
do.

So when wiphy capabilities indicate support for AP interface, it does not
mean we should expect very first interface to be of AP type.
Driver can have multiple virtual interfaces and one of them would support
AP operation. So having right to know interface type is something that is
not expected??

Our current implementation cannot modify interface type(AP<=>STA) but still
we are able to support simultaneous AP/STA operations using
hostapd/wpa_supplicant.
Connman expects to control both using wpa_supplicant and this is where we
need to have support from supplicant to know interface type.

Also about notification handlers, if you are not OK with it, I would
completely remove notification handler related code.

Thanks,
Avinash