wpa_supplicant stops working after pm-suspend

Jouni Malinen j
Mon Dec 22 01:19:46 PST 2014

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 12:24:50PM -0500, Aaron Small wrote:
> I use wpa_supplicant with NetworkManager on linux to connect to wifi. A few
> months ago after a platform update (I'm not sure exactly what was updated,
> whether it included wpa_supplicant and/or other things), wifi stopped
> working after pm-suspend/resume.

> So I am wondering: should wpa_supplicant work after pm-suspend/resume, or
> is it normal that it needs to be restarted? Because I was using it with
> NetworkManager, I don't know, maybe NetworkManager was restarting it
> before, and isn't now and that's what broke.

wpa_supplicant on its own was able to reconnect fine when I last tested
this.

> and this in wpa_supplicant's log on resume:
> wlan0: SME: Trying to authenticate with 00:24:01:6f:15:3f (SSID='oakmore'
> freq=2437 MHz)

So wpa_supplicant is aware that connection was lost on suspend and is
trying to recover here..

> nl80211: Authentication request send successfully
> wlan0: SME: Authentication timeout

But the driver seems to be misbehaving.. Which WLAN hardware and driver
are you using?

> which seems to me like wpa_supplicant is trying to connect and linux is not
> allowing it? But if something is wrong in the kernel, then I'm not sure why
> restarting wpa_supplicant would fix it.

Restarting wpa_supplicant will set the interface down and up which will
likely reset driver state and can fix things there..

> I'd rather not look into the kernel if I don't have to, but based on these
> logs, would that be the next place to look?

Yes