Wired -802.1x authentication

Sarah Thomas sarah040.thomas
Tue Dec 9 09:26:17 PST 2014

Hi,

  Would like to have a 802.1x authentication on a wired set up , using
wpa_supplicant, hostapd code

*Wired setup* - Supplicant connected via ethernet to Authenticator and
Authenticator to radius server is anyways connected via ethernet

*Current Setup I have*: 3 Ubuntu laptops , one running wpa_supplicant,
another running  hostapd as Authenticator and 3rd one as radius server.
802.1x authentication goes through fine.

*Hardware requirements:*

Since Authenticator(laptop), has only one ethernet port, how do we achieve
connecting it to supplicant and server? Should we use a hub/Switch or
something? As long as the Authenticator code can run on the laptop, for
handling the port, i can get the devices.

*Software changes:*

*wpa_supplicant:*

Is invoking the wpa_supplicant with -Dwired option and using the below in
conf file sufficient to make it wired supplicant?

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=wheel
ap_scan=0
network={
	key_mgmt=IEEE8021X
	eap=MD5
	identity="user"
	password="password"
	eapol_flags=0
}

*Hostapd:*

In the defconfig ., enable WIRED_DRIVER and then in conf file, interface
will be made to eth0.