wpa_supplicant: Problem with freq_list scan filter

Jouni Malinen j
Sun Aug 10 01:13:26 PDT 2014

On Fri, Aug 08, 2014 at 04:49:12PM +0200, Bojan Prtvar wrote:
> Thank you for your hints. By examining the code I found out that
> freq_list is only taken into account by
> wpa_supplicant_req_scan() (via wpa_supplicant_scan(), to be more
> precise) and my error case happens on
> wpa_supplicant_req_sched_scan().
> So this is what I did, and this seams to fix the problem on my side.
> However, I'm concerned about potential side effects, because I don't
> understand the philosophy and difference
> between req_scan and req_sched_scan. Can you please comment?

That looks like a proper fix for sched_scan. I'd assume that possible
use case was forgotten when the global freq_list functionality was added
since it was most likely initially targeting drivers that do not support
sched_scan.

Could you please read the top level CONTRIBUTIONS file and post the
patch with a Signed-off-by: tag in the commit message so that I can
apply it?

PS.

freq_list affects only scanning. This does not prevent drivers from
roaming to other frequencies when BSS-selection is done by the driver
instead of wpa_supplicant. In other words, this is not a generic
solution for forcing 5 GHz band to be used.