query regarding ctrl_iface for WPS PIN method

Jouni Malinen j
Mon Sep 23 05:56:45 PDT 2013

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 05:28:00PM +0530, Abbhishek Misra wrote:
> I guess it will be ok not to scan and determine bssid from ssid instead one
> could use 'any' in the above call.
>
> I do not think that is going to cause any conflict as either user would be
> providing PIN or supplicant will randomly generate it and that will easily
> resolve which AP we wish to connect.

This should be fine for most use cases.

> This however raises another question
> Why is there a provision to provide bssid at all?

It can be convenient to speed up AP selection and to reduce possibility
of getting connected to incorrect AP if the user already knows or can
easily select the AP from scan results.