bgscan simple not always working

Matthew Dalton msdalton
Wed Nov 27 19:44:57 PST 2013

Hi all,

I'm currently evaluating the capabilities of wpa_supplicant in a network
environment where the networked PCs are moving and require fast switch-over
times between BSSIDs in a wifi mesh.

I'm using the bgscan simple feature, which seems to work quite well for the
most part.

However, I'm finding that one of my systems refuses to automatically switch
to an AP with a better signal, even though its current signal is well below
the threshold value, and the scan interval time is passed (even the long
interval). Even trying to force the switch manually (using wpa_cli roam)
doesn't work.

I'm fairly certain the conf file is being read. At least, the conf file
contains the password and the system does at least connect properly.

Does anyone have any idea what might be preventing my system from switching?

If it helps, my wpa_supplicant.conf contains the following settings:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
eapol_version=1
ap_scan=1
fast_reauth=1
network={
  ssid=?wifi-mesh?
  psk=?password?
  scan_freq=2412
  bgscan=?simple:10:-45:120?
}

wpa_supplicant is being started by ifup using the following command line:
/sbin/wpa_supplicant -s -B -P /var/run/wpa_supplicant.wlan0.pid -i wlan0 -u
-D nl80211 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

I'm using -u to enable DBus and have written code to read status this way.
I'm not using Network Manager.

Also, I'm using Debian Wheezy, which uses an older version of
wpa_supplicant (1.0). Perhaps the most recent version is improved in this
area?

Cheers,
Matthew