Question on 802.11r

Nicolas Cavallari Nicolas.Cavallari
Tue Nov 12 02:16:27 PST 2013

On 12/11/2013 11:08, Krishna Chaitanya wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 3:35 PM, Nicolas Cavallari
> <Nicolas.Cavallari at green-communications.fr> wrote:

>> When devices roams, they expect that the layer2 environment is the same.
>> They are not required to refresh any DHCP lease or anything.
>
> How does the STA knows whether it had done a L2/L3 roaming?

In 802.11r, the STA initiates the roaming, so it knows.

> Only way it can know is if it tries to renew the IP and gets a NACK from
> server, then it things subnet is changed (from NACK) and tries to do
> a full DHCP handshake.

802.11 Roaming is always layer 2.  If you have two AP with the same SSID and security
parameters, it mean they belong to the same ESS, so to the same layer 2 network.

If you want to do a layer 3 roaming, just disconnect and reconnect.  Or use different SSIDs.