[RFC] nl80211: allow Android P2P functionality

Johannes Berg johannes
Thu May 16 09:42:50 PDT 2013

On Fri, 2013-05-17 at 00:17 +0800, YanBo wrote:

> > That depends on your driver.

> In my humble opinion, for the fullmac driver, it seems easy to handler
> this case, cause they create the p2p0 and wlan0 by themselves.

I don't think they should do so, they should let wpa_s create it. Look
at the patches Arend just posted, he's working with a fullmac driver as
well.

> but for mac80211 driver, normally we just register one physical entity
> by call ieee80211_alloc_hw(), but the virtual device wlan0 and p2p0
> are all created based on this, so when try to 'UP' one of them when
> another has been in 'UP' status, the upper layer(cfg80211/mac80211?)
> will report this device in busy status cause the physical entity has
> been opened already. (CMIIW? maybe there are some special flag that I
> don't know can be set to avoid such device busy block)

You have to correctly register to cfg80211 (even for fullmac drivers!)
that you support virtual interface concurrency.

johannes