Hostapd driver interface selection in hostapd.conf for atheros WiFi cards.

Hauke Mehrtens hauke
Sat Jun 8 09:47:20 PDT 2013

On 06/07/2013 07:43 AM, Bhavesh Kamani wrote:
> Hi Team,
>

> Whenever I am using ath9k, I am using "driver=nl80211" in hostapd.conf file,
> but I am not sure what is the difference between madwifi driver
> interface(driver_madwifi.c) and atheros driver interface(driver_atheros.c)?
>
> When should I use "driver=madwifi" and when should I use "driver=atheros"?

For ath9k wifi driver you need driver=nl80211
For madwifi wifi driver you need driver=madwifi
For Atheros proprietary wifi driver you need driver=atheros

These are 3 different wifi drivers which support partly the same devices
and hostapd has to use different interfaces to interact with these drivers.

Hauke