hostapd Won't Launch

Jouni Malinen j
Fri Jan 25 11:05:46 PST 2013

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 01:56:30PM -0500, Ayron Jungren wrote:
> I added "CONFIG_DEBUG_FILE=y" and removed "CONFIG_NO_STDOUT_DEBUG=y"
> in the .config before Portage built hostapd, and it just started
> working fine!

Is that CONFIG_NO_STDOUT_DEBUG=y used as the default build option there?
If so, it is very user unfriendly option and not really something I
would recommend for a generic distribution. The only reason to add that
entry is if you need to minimize the binary size for an embedded device
with limited flash. If you want to debug anything (including
configuration file errors or any problems setting up the interface), you
do not want that build option.

> There were no errors at all, and the AP is working
> (tested from my TouchPad). Is there some reason I should need
> CONFIG_DEBUG_FILE for hostapd to work?

No, that is not needed for normal functionality. The only use for it is
if you want to direct debug output to a file.