More than 4 SSIDs with one NIC/hostapd instance?

Jouni Malinen j
Sun Jan 6 10:22:45 PST 2013

On Wed, Jan 02, 2013 at 09:03:41PM +0100, Jan Vales wrote:
> i wonder if it is possible to create more than 4 SSIDs with one nic +
> hostapd instance.

Yes, if the driver supports this.

> An useful real-life use-case might not really exist, but I still want to
> know, why it fails if i want more than 4 SSIDs.

> just says "Could not set interface wlan0_3 flags: Device or resource
> busy" and shuts down.

I would assume this is because of driver limitation on how many AP
interfaces can be enabled.

> Module                  Size  Used by
> ath5k                 126000  0

ath5k seems to advertise maximum of 4 AP virtual interfaces which would
explain what you are seeing here.