EAPOL simulation

Jouni Malinen j
Thu Feb 28 11:12:28 PST 2013

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 08:52:19PM +0100, tabibel sami wrote:
>     In purpose to experiment eap-sim authentication protocol, i start by
> create the following virtual infrastructure:
>
>      supplicant <---------> NAS (AP)< --------------> freeradius server
>       10.0.0.1/24              10.0.0.2/24                  195.12.16.17/24
>                       |            |             |                    |
>                       |            |             |                    |
>                       |            |             |                    |
>                 vmnet8      eth0       bridge              eth0

> supplicant : is my real machine,
> NAS : is a vmplayer virtual machine,
> freeradius server : is an lxc container

Is there any specific requirement for using a virtual machine for the
NAS?

> is there a way to test hostapd, and to simulate an 802.1x authentication
> with above virtual network ?
> does wpa_supplicant do this authentication in case of ethernet (virtual);
> or wpa_supplicant do only wireless authentication ?

wpa_supplicant can use IEEE 802.1X either with wireless or wired.
However, I've never tested this type of setup with a virtual guest and
host being used for the "wired" interface. It could be possible to get
that working, but it would likely be quite a bit simpler to use
mac80211_hwsim with wpa_supplicant and hostapd using the virtual WLAN.