[RFC 06/10] nl80211_driver: add support for P2P device in adding and removing interface

Arend van Spriel arend
Sat Feb 16 23:47:02 PST 2013

On 02/17/2013 07:42 AM, Spinadel, David wrote:

>> device.
>>>
>>> I think the idea behind it was that you could have a 2.4/5 GHz device
>>> and a 60 GHz device and have them both use the same P2P Device Address
>>> so you can use them interchangeably.
>>
>> That is indeed how I understood the explanation from Jouni (see attached
>> email). I think it is actually about the mac address that ends up in the action
>> frame header.
>>
> Actually it's not going to work now, since the p2p state machine will always call the callbacks on the same interface. And there is a problem when you try to do something on one interface and it's running on other one - the events are raising on a wrong interface and I don't know how it should work.
> I think it's better to prevent enabling p2p on more than one interface (set p2p_disabled on by default and enable it explicitly if needed in the config file)?

I see. As the use-case seems valid the p2p state machine will need quite
some rework or a more abstract interface that takes care of selecting
the appropriate interface. I agree it is better to stick to one
interface for now and make that work (maybe it already does, but I still
need to test your patches ;-) ).

Regards,
Arend