Low Wi-Fi throughput

Alban JEANTHEAU alban.jeantheau
Fri Dec 13 09:06:03 PST 2013

Hi every one,

  I need to make Wi-Fi connections between my device and I require a high
throughput. I mainly target IBSS network. For IBSS, I'm using
wpa_supplicant with USB dongle Asus N53 (RT3572, here is my configuration
file:

ap_scan=2
network={
    scan_ssid=1
    ssid="MySsid"
    frequency=5200
    mode=1
    key_mgmt=WPA-NONE
    proto=WPA
    psk="MyKey"
    pairwise=NONE
    group=CCMP
    htmode=HT40-
}

The maximum throughput I can reach is about 22Mbps (iperf TCP between 2
devices 2 meters away).

"iw wlan0 station dump" indicates the maximum physical rate used is 150Mbps
(MCS 7 short GI, HT40), about 8% reties, to failure. So I understand MIMO
is not enable.

*So first question, how to enable MIMO with IBSS?*

Also I think with 150Mbps, *the TCP throughput should be about 70Mbps,
isn't it?*

I have also check the STA - AP configuration. It used MCS larger that 7 so
it enables MIMO, but the throughput is terrible less then 10Mbps.

For information, STA - AP configuration with Windows (using Asus tools)
obtain a TCP throughput of 115Mps with the same Wi-Fi hardware. By the way
I couldn't succeed to authenticate a linux station to the windows AP...
(authenticate timed out after sending 3 direct probe. Same result with or
without ciphering).
*Do you know why there is such a different throughput between linux /
windows? (Drivers? tools?)*
*Do you know why a wpa_supplicant can not attache to the windows AP?*

*Also I would like to know what throughput you are able to reach in same
condition?*

  Thank you if you can give me some answers or hints to solve my problems ;)

  Alban